Monday, February 10, 2014


The tv stand is finished! I played around with the floorplan a lot in Sketchup  (my go to program to make design decisions because it is fast and designing in 3D gives a much better understanding of the space)

I am still not entirely happy with the tv placement - it kinda screams hey! look at me! ... but with the space that we have, I think its a good option.


Utilizing one space for the office and living room, I wanted a sense of division which was created by the sofa, sofa table and lamps.  I also didnt want to block the window, putting the tv on an angle in the corner seemed the best option for the layout.

For now, this is where it will stay ... at least until I change my mind ;)

We wanted something super simple, not huge ... I feel like all tv stands are ginormous! So we decided to design and make our own ... I talked earlier this week about the door to hide the electronics and David managed to surprise me by his innovative pivoting door design, hes a keeper I tell you!

Here is how it moves ...



Pretty neat, huh?

The base construction for the tv stand was pretty simple but the pivoting door took a little more time to get just right


We topped it off with 2x4 (1" thick) shelving - we wanted something a bit heavier since it has to support the tv.


The screws and seams were covered with wood filler, once dry the whole piece was sanded to get all the rough spots - holes were also drilled for the hardware on the door at this time

I primed with SW wall and wood primer

lightly sanded with fine sandpaper

and gave it two coats of SW pro classic (perfect for painting furniture because it gives a hard enamel finish while being water based) in a custom mix of big chill with a little anew gray (both left over from other projects) with XIM extender mixed in to help level out brush marks.


I painted the top piece and the door separately to access all of the corners - once the pieces were dry, they were attached and the hardware was added.

And that was it!


Baskets fit well underneath to hold extra remotes and dvds


and a view with the door open ...


and I one of Annabelle  - she approves because her window seat (the green ottomans) are now back in place



The top piece $23 and the thin door $10 made this piece a little more expensive than anticipated ... the total for the wood was around $65

We sold our tv stand when we moved to CA, so it is nice to see the tv off of the ground!

Hope you have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment